Caterpillar (Red Tiger Swallowtail)
Randy Went to Monticello in September. He caught this caterpillar. Hidious, I know! I never saw it when it looked like this. It wasn't beginning the pupa stage when I first say it. Randy said it was about as big as the ugly tomato worms. When he put it in a water bottle to bring home it sat up like a cobra and let off a nasty defense scent.
Pupa Stage
He was in this stage for almost 4 months. He was hanging from a stick in a fishbowl on my kitchen counter that entire time. I was just about to throw it out. This picture was taken the day before it came out. It looked just like a stick before but this day I could see a butterfly print on it. Can you see it?

Brand New Butterfly
Sunday morning, December 21, 2008. Just out of its cucoon. There wings are wet when they first come out. It was about three hours before the wings looked completely dry.
Isn't it beautiful. Today Madilyn (and I) named it Polka Dot (though it doesn't even have one). She says it cute. We plan to keep him until it is warm outside. Then We'll let Madilyn let him fly away. She loves having the butterfly around. With it's wings spread completely out it is about 6 inches from wing to wing.

Last night my Dad told us we should write a children's book titled "The Christmas Butterfly" and that we could make millions. Sounds good to me. But for right now my blog is as close as it is going to get.



2 comments:
This is so cool! It is so beautiful. I can't believe something so gross looking can end up so pretty ha ha
Wow! That's so cool. Do you let "polka dot" fly around the house?? What a special treat for Mady!
Post a Comment