About a week ago Randy discovered that we had a nest in our front tree. We had seen Robins this spring in our yard and wondered if they had a nest close by. We were so excited to see tiny little beaks sticking out of the nest. We did a little research and by looking at pictures of robin babies and comparing them with our own pictures we took a guess at the ages of our new birds. I read that it takes 14-16 days for the eggs to hatch, then 14-19 days until they leave their nest. Robin parents are very dedicated. We see them tag team every 10-20 minutes to get food for there babies. The nest is in the tree outside our living room window. Everyday we open the blinds and watch for the best picture taking moment. When that moment comes I tell Madilyn to wave to me when she sees me outside and I sit on top of the truck and get the shot. I do this three or four times a day. It has been really fun and quite rewarding when I get a good picture. This post will be updated daily until the birds leave their nest!
about 2 days old

about 3 days old

about 4 days old

about 6 days old

about 8 days

about 13 days old 

about 14 days old 

about 15 days old




I have seen two of the four birds around trying to fly. They get going for 2 or 3 seconds and then crashing something or slowly make a landing to the ground. I guess the other two must be flying pretty good. The parents just fly around them and cheep. I'm guessing they are cheering them on or maybe saying "watch out for that_____". The bird just above landed on the windshield of this moving car. Luckily it wasn't going fast, neither of them were. This same bird (two pictures up) started flying and bumped into the wall and I guess he thought while he was right there he would take a break. I hope they all learn to fly well today before they get hit by a car or eaten by an alley cat. That would be so sad. It has been really fun to watch these birds everyday. "Come visit me again, birds!"
1 comments:
Oh wow! You really did get a good view from your window. I hope they are old enough to leave the nest before you have to cut that tree down.
Post a Comment